THE CHURCH

The Romanesque church was built in the twelfth century, using brownish sandstone from Loubières, on the site of an older church.In 1104 it became a Priory within the Abbacy of Saint-Volusien, Foix.It was listed as an Historic Monument on the 22nd of March 1907

The cylindrically vaulted nave is situated behind the circular apse (visible in the photograph), which is lit by three windows decorated with small columns with capitals.On either side are two smaller apses containing chapels. The bell-tower is of a style from Toulouse.

 

On the splayed capitals at the top of the interior and exterior columns are sculptures of geometric shapes, mythical beasts and birds.

Each one is individual.

The outside decoration is remarkable. The cornices are embellished with circular florets, palm-leaves and crosiers.

On the outside of each window, the band framing the archivolt (the moulding that exactly duplicates the shape of the higher portion of the window) is decorated with studs.

In the cemetery, adjacent to the apse, there is a Sarcophagus. The colonnaded design matches that of the windows. It probably contains the remains of one of the former Priors.

                                                                                

m">